Picking the right weight loss approach for you

With so many diets, workout routines, and weight loss options available, it can be challenging to pick the right one for your unique situation. No matter your decision, it is important to transition your habits gradually, as this increases the likelihood of you sticking with your healthy new lifestyle. To help choose, here is a closer look at some of the most popular weight loss approaches: 

The 80/20 Diet

The 80/20 diet involves eating healthy food 80 percent of the time and less healthy meals or snacks during the other 20 percent. With three meals a day, that comes out to about 17 healthy meals and 4 “unhealthy” meals a week. However, it is important to avoid binge eating during these “unhealthy” meals, or else you could undo all of your hard work from earlier in the week. Clean eating can also be a good strategy. 

Low-Intensity Workouts 

Despite what many people believe, low-intensity exercises like walking and swimming are actually great ways to lose weight and stay in shape. Although hitting the gym can help you build muscle, it is not a requirement for weight loss; you can perform simple exercises at home and still achieve successful results. Other low-intensity exercises include using an elliptical machine, cycling, rowing, and yoga. 

Working with a Nutritionist 

Working with a nutritionist to help you plan meals can greatly improve your weight loss success. Even if weight loss is not your goal, nutritionists can still help you learn how to make healthier meals to meet your body’s nutritional needs. Nutritionists provide individualized attention to improve your unique health situation and eating habits. This is typically much better than following a generalized diet. 

Is a Tummy Tuck Worth it?

If you’ve been struggling to lose weight for a while, then you’ve likely considered getting a tummy tuck at some point. Tummy tucks (formally known as “abdominoplasties”) remove excess skin and fat from the abdomen. However, the cost of tummy tuck often deters many people from getting the procedure. Tummy tucks also may not be the best choice because they don’t always deliver the results people expect. Instead, visiting a medical weight loss clinic for nutritional counseling or weight loss injections can be more effective. 


Overall, there are many potential diets and workout routines to choose from. The 80/20 diet, low-intensity workouts, and working with a nutritionist are some of the best options to achieve and maintain weight loss. Gradually working up to more intensive workout routines and stricter diets can help as well.