Political post round-ups?

LOCATION:Canada
MEMBER SINCE:May 11th, 2003
LAST ONLINE:July 17th, 2017 @ 2:53PM

Comments :

IN RESPONSE TO: Wednesday & Thursday Random News

John Oliver....

Has anything remotely good or intellectually honest ever come out of Breitbart? Oliver taking advantage of a tax loophole doesn't make him a hypocrite, it makes him fiscally pragmatic. Who here by simple virtue of their principles would choose to pay more for something than they legally have to? Now if you can point to evidence that he has or is secretly lobbying to expand or create new tax loopholes that disproportionately benefit the wealthy then by all means lets call a spade a spade. That would be a smoking gun.

The difference here is Oliver is using his new-found wealth and celebrity status to bring to light a lot of important issues and topics that are factually accurate albeit biased at times - which in and of itself is not necessarily a bad thing depending on the execution. Whether you find him funny or not is incidental to the fact he is using comedy as a medium to educate the masses in a meaningful and engaging way (I see parallel's to Reddit's ELI5) that frankly the mainstream has failed to do.

Contrast that with Trump who...
    * Used his fortune and influence to apparently help create this loophole in the first place.
    * Refuses to release his tax records (what controversial business dealings is he trying to hide?) despite it being an understood practice since Nixon
    * Failed to establish a blind trust for his business assets and instead handed it off to family members with a wink and a nudge on the "promise" to the people that nothing untoward would happen....just trust him!
    * and about a dozen other things I could mention if I were so inclined (don't even get me started on his health plan replacement that was pushed through without even a cursory CBO review or his 3 page "detailed" tax plan he finally made public)

Yeah, screw that liberal commie pinko bastard Oliver. He's clearly the real douche/hypocrite.

Posted: May 11th, 2017 @ 5:47PM
    IN RESPONSE TO: Delicious Liberal Tears: TRUMP FIRES FBI DIRECTOR JAMES COMEY

Well to play devil's advocate, Comey didn't say there wasn't any evidence against Hillary, but that in his opinion there was insufficient evidence to prove intent and guarantee a conviction. All that notwithstanding, it's a little disingenuous to lay the blame squarely on his/FBI's shoulders as it's ultimately up to the Justice Department / AG to decide whether or not to charge someone and pursue a criminal case.

Also, the timing of the firing is more than a little suspect. I won't indulge in the conspiracy theories you're likely to find on Reddit and 4Chan but suffice to say it does bring to mind some disturbing similarities to Nixon and the people he fired who were investigating him for his involvement in Watergate.

Posted: May 9th, 2017 @ 8:42PM
    IN RESPONSE TO: Arrow / The Flash

Haha, well in that case you've won the argument!
    Posted: May 9th, 2017 @ 1:12PM
    IN RESPONSE TO: Arrow / The Flash

Who's missing from the Flash? And there is no way Super Girl is the best of the 3. Arrow has jumped the shark but I'd still rather watch that then Super Girl.
    Posted: May 9th, 2017 @ 8:47AM
    IN RESPONSE TO: BLADE RUNNER 2049 - Official Trailer

Denis Villeneuve as director....this has a lot of potential then. He did a great job with Arrival - one of the best sci-fi movies to come out in the last while.
    Posted: May 8th, 2017 @ 3:08PM
    IN RESPONSE TO: Saw Guardians of the Galaxy 2

I don't know how it is elsewhere, but where I live I've noticed a very disturbing trend by all the various movie theater chains regarding 3D. And that's the fact that while they do offer non-3D (2D) showings, they are as far as I can tell *only* offered before 6pm. So unless you go on a weekend and want to effectively see a matinee show, you screwed.

It's just another way the theater can jack up their prices as 3D movies are always several bucks more expensive. Even when the vast majority of 3D is garbage and is only used for a handful of scenes in the entire movie.

Posted: May 8th, 2017 @ 3:02PM
    IN RESPONSE TO: Awesome

Deuce! I thought you fell off the face of the earth. Good to see you're still around even if it's as a lurker :)
    Posted: April 28th, 2017 @ 6:33PM
    IN RESPONSE TO: Awesome

Hahaha, so true!
    Posted: April 27th, 2017 @ 8:47PM
    IN RESPONSE TO: United Has a Lot to Answer For

RE: Another perspective...

So after reading that I'm left with two thoughts.

1) Even if what the author has stated is 100% factually correct, they lose a lot of credibility when they resort to saying things like "There’s a reason for these laws–it’s called 9/11". I'm sorry what? The only thing that drives me more nuts than when people try to justify something by saying "But think of the children!" is when they try to justify something with "But, but...terrorists!".

2) Even if you discount #1, the entire situation is a customer relations nightmare. I mean how hard would it have been to make the following announcement to all the passengers:

"Ladies and gentlemen, we apologize for the following inconvenience however we are looking tor x passengers to voluntarily disembark to accommodate a number of airline employees to ensure no other flights are unnecessarily delayed or cancelled. We understand this is an inconvenience and as such are willing to arrange and compensate you a complimentary flight free of charge to your intended destination along with $500 cash/check. Please come to the front of the plane if your are interested in taking advantage of this opportunity."

You wait 5 minutes and then bump the payout to $1000. I guarantee you you will have a line of people willing to jump at that offer. And how do I know? Two words - Black Friday. If people are willing to fight tooth and nail over a sale on a $10 crappy waffle makers, you bet your ass they'll accept a free flight and money.

So instead of playing it smart and shelling out $1000 per person to disembark, this will likely end with the airline having to offer a 5 or 6-figure settlement payment in order to avoid a lawsuit.

EDIT: hehe, just realized I'm echoing Wootah's comment :)

EDITED: 2017-04-12 16:37:40

Posted: April 12th, 2017 @ 4:34PM
    IN RESPONSE TO: Monday Random News

"...but boy I just ate a whole pizza and am super lazy right now..."

Your thoughts intrigue me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter :)

Posted: April 10th, 2017 @ 6:01PM
    IN RESPONSE TO: Monday Random News

RE: Cops Can Kill You Even If They’re in the Wrong Home, Says Federal Court

Man that's messed up. On a side note, If I'm not mistaken Florida has a castle doctrine of some sorts. I wonder what would have happened if the victim lived but had during the course of the exchange seriously wounded or killed the police officer thinking they were an intruder. Would castle doctrine protect him or would the state still pursue charges?

Posted: April 10th, 2017 @ 8:02AM
    IN RESPONSE TO: The incredible story of the 77 POWs who were captured in 1942 and tortured for three years

Hehe, I see what you did there :)
    Posted: April 9th, 2017 @ 7:09AM

Not to dismiss their experience, but that headline is blatantly misleading. The only reference to torture in the body of the article is that they *witnessed* Japanese soldiers torturing other soldiers. Makes one hell of a difference.
    Posted: April 8th, 2017 @ 6:35PM
    IN RESPONSE TO: King Kong

That latest one (Skull Island?) was actually pretty decent. Not a "must see" movie but definitely enjoyable.
    Posted: April 6th, 2017 @ 6:38PM
    IN RESPONSE TO: Wednesday Random News

Seems like after all these years, the "crazy" foreign policy views of Ron Paul aren't actually so crazy (surprise!).
    Posted: April 6th, 2017 @ 7:07AM
    IN RESPONSE TO: The 265 members of Congress who sold you out to ISPs

Just to add, if you're not using it already, I highly recommend these 3 browser extensions (available for both Chrome and Firefox):

uBlock Origin (AdBlock Plus is more popular, but they apparently allow companies to pay them to be added to a whitelist. Plus it's a resource hog)
    Privacy Badger (and/or Disconnect)
    HTTPS Everywhere

"Knowing is half the battle" - G.I. Joe

Posted: March 29th, 2017 @ 2:12PM
    IN RESPONSE TO: Today's Politics

It's not just gross incompetence, it's willful negligence, it's hypocrisy, and it's ugly politics.

Everyone and their mother agreed that the healthcare system was a hot mess that required reform. Fundamentally the only difference was the D's wanted to do *something* while the R's kept making excuses. Enter Obamacare which was "rushed" through.

R's then begin a 7 year campaign to repeal, defund, or otherwise cripple the ACA. Ironically, the ACA is in no small part modeled after Bob Dole's plan which was the R's go-to plan when Clinton tried to reform healthcare back in the 90's. I digress.

So for 3/4 of a decade the R's have promised the moon. Now they have the Whitehouse, both the House & Senate, and an arguably neutered Supreme Court and what do they bring to the table? 50-odd pages of rubbish that *everyone* hates and is arguably worse than if they had simply repealed the ACA and replaced it with nothing. It's so bad and so blatantly a money grab for the wealthy that even hardline R's wouldn't vote for it.

Every single one of those mother f'ers that's been anti-ACA and didn't lift a finger to reform or otherwise write meaningful legislation to replace it should be kicked out of politics and banned for life.

And of course, neither party wants to address the real elephant in the room when it comes to reforming health care - the insurance companies.

Posted: March 26th, 2017 @ 9:01AM
    IN RESPONSE TO: Arrow

Actually Arrow was pretty good in the beginning. The use of flashbacks effectively giving us a show-within-a-show was done very well. It had the right amount of action, mystery, and grittiness that I found appealing.

That said, I think "The Flash" is by far the best out of all the DC live shows. Sure some corny lines and characters at times but overall a solid cast (it's hard to hate on either Barry or Cisco - great casting there). What really impresses me is even though you have the obligatory filler episodes, even those are enjoyable in their own right (King Shark!!!). It has a nice balance between short-term and long-term story arcs.

Posted: March 18th, 2017 @ 1:30PM
    IN RESPONSE TO: Arrow

With these types of shows, there's always a level of suspension of disbelief one has to entertain to enjoy it. For me though, the show started to go down hill when Thea (sp?) in something like 6 months became a AAA fighter/swordmaster/bowman.

And ever since then everybody and their mother seems to be a martial arts pro. The African American guy? Yeah he went from a tech geek to bad ass kungfu guy in like a handful of weeks with no prior training/experience. I mean c'mon!

And yet I'm still watching it and I can't articulate why :(

Posted: March 17th, 2017 @ 3:46AM
    IN RESPONSE TO: Welp, I'm a Scottish Lord now, bow down peasants

O_o
    Posted: March 11th, 2017 @ 3:36AM
    IN RESPONSE TO: It's my Birthday!

Happy birthday!
    Posted: March 11th, 2017 @ 3:35AM
    IN RESPONSE TO: I did it! I'm Canadian

Welcome to the fold! Looks like they no longer issue cards anymore (LINK)
    Posted: March 6th, 2017 @ 9:33PM
    IN RESPONSE TO: Thursday Random News

Yahoo punishes CEO....

So she earned ~$160 million over 5 years and will still get upwards of $55 million golden parachute for exiting out of her contract.

Geez, I wish *I* could be punished like that.

Posted: March 3rd, 2017 @ 12:38AM
    IN RESPONSE TO: F the Oscars

I've seen most of the Oscar nominated movies except for Moonlight so I'll withhold judgement until I get a chance to do so. That said, the craze for La La Land and Manchester by the Sea really has me confused. Both were ok in their own right, but the praise they've been getting simply does not come even close to my personal viewing experience.

My favorite movies by far would have to be either Hidden Figures, Lion, and Hell or High Water (no particular order). I found them to be way more enjoyable.

EDITED: 2017-02-27 09:09:33

Posted: February 27th, 2017 @ 9:07AM
    IN RESPONSE TO: Wednesday Politics

I guess there's that. But that list has become somewhat of a joke because you here about cases where an 18yr has sex with a 16yr old - parents of 16yr old then press statutory rape charges (assuming you're in a state where age of consent is 17-18) and in order to avoid jail time a plea bargain is reached whereby the 18yr old pleads guilty and has to register on the list.

Or some jackass is drunk and urinates in public and again, in order to avoid jail time copes to a lesser charge and has to register on the list.

Absolutely moronic and it trivializes the intent of the list in the first place.

EDITED: 2017-02-23 03:56:44

Posted: February 23rd, 2017 @ 3:55AM
    IN RESPONSE TO: Wednesday Politics

The Bill Maher thing...

I'm not going to defend his point of view but I will say this. A lot of people from his generation, particularly males shared and still share the point of view that a female can't take advantage of a male. That an older woman having sex with a teenage boy would be considered a notch in the belt for the boy whereas if the positions were reversed (older man and teenage girl) it would undoubtedly be viewed as sick/disgusting and the man would have the book thrown at them.

The mindset goes even further such that even if both parties are full grown adults, that it's simply not possible for a woman to rape a man. That violence against men is a joke and any man who admits to being a victim and tries to get the police involved gets laughed at and fingers pointed at him saying, "What kind of a man are you?"

Again, not defending Maher but I don't think his statements from almost 20 years ago can fairly be put side-by--side against Milo's comments in 2016-17. In fact, even by today's "progressive" standards women still enjoy a double standard when it comes to sex with a minor. Just look at the outcomes of any recent case and you'll see that a vast majority get little to no jail time.

In other words, what they did was deemed wrong, but not really *that* wrong - wink wink, nudge nudge.

Posted: February 22nd, 2017 @ 11:56PM
    IN RESPONSE TO: Saturday Politics

Milo Yiannopoulos spars with Bill Maher...

I watched that with great interest. Good for Maher for having the balls to bring someone like Milo on. They both raised some valid points.

I will say though now that I've taken the time to watch more of Milo's talks, he really needs to tone down the personal, ad-hominem attacks. It really dilutes his more poignant observations and isn't worth the cheap/easy laughs it may generate. He's got some crazy views but with it mixed in some great insights.

Posted: February 18th, 2017 @ 11:11AM
    IN RESPONSE TO: Tuesday Politics

Killer beat me to it. There's plenty of hypocrisy to point out but the Obama/Subway thing definitely isn't one of them.

On a semi-related note, I personally can't fathom how there's no actual law that requires a President to forfeit all business ties or at least put them in a blind trust when taking office. That coupled with not releasing tax records sure makes for one sketchy Presidency.

But if there's one silver lining, my man Trudeau met Trump on the handshake battlefield and won the day (reference for those wondering what I'm talking about LINK / LINK
    ) . I envision one day they'll even reference it in one of those classic Heritage Minutes montages haha!

Posted: February 14th, 2017 @ 8:11PM
    IN RESPONSE TO: Story Time

100% agree with Reaver
    Posted: February 9th, 2017 @ 12:23PM
    IN RESPONSE TO: It's Always Sunny

This season has been amazing so far. The musical, the water park, spoof of "How To Make Murderer". So funny!
    Posted: February 9th, 2017 @ 12:14PM