Political post round-ups?

December 14th, 2017 @ 1:31AM

LOCATION:Filth-a-delphia
MEMBER SINCE:April 27th, 2003
LAST ONLINE:December 14th, 2017 @ 1:31AM

Comments :

IN RESPONSE TO: Firefox

and to think that Nebu considered banning Biv after the browser bomb prank!
    Posted: June 15th, 2017 @ 6:19AM
    IN RESPONSE TO: So sick of cops/campus cops and their fucking FISHING ATTEMPTS

Maybe you look like a creeper.
    Posted: June 13th, 2017 @ 12:52PM
    IN RESPONSE TO: Metal Detecting

I second the Enforcerman comment. If you want to enjoy the outdoors and break your back, just hang out in front of a Home Depot as a laborer for hire. You can learn some Spanish at the same time as well as basic landscaping skills.
    Posted: June 5th, 2017 @ 9:24AM
    IN RESPONSE TO: Thursday Politics

Biv, I can turn your argument around and say, "since it's non-binding, and largely symbolic, what's the harm in pulling out?"

I think for political purposes, the left in this country would stupidly try to adhere to the agreement while our foreign competitors laughed. I believe China-Russia would pay their media shills to spout environmental propaganda to cause internal pressure in the U.S. to conform.

Banning CFCs is one thing, drastically reducing carbon based fuel usage is many orders of magnitude more difficult and expensive It's our entire way of life.

Posted: June 2nd, 2017 @ 5:01AM
    IN RESPONSE TO: Thursday Politics

No need to negotiate something better. Just pull out and stay out.

Does anyone really think that China, Russia, India, etc would have honored the agreement. They will pay lip service to compliance, submit bogus numbers, and chastise the U.S. for any perceived non-compliance. This would lead to two outcomes: 1) With a massive carbon fuel user cutting demand, the costs for carbon-based fuels such as petroleum, LNG, and coal will be cheaper for the aforementioned countries. 2) The U.S. would spend massive sums on alternative energy projects leading to higher cost of living and manufacturing costs domestically.

What a win-win for our competitors. Lower energy costs for them, higher costs for the U.S., and an agreement they could claim we are breaking in order to sway opinion against us.

Good riddance.

Posted: June 1st, 2017 @ 6:37PM
    IN RESPONSE TO: Wednesday Random News

As a father of two young children, my heart really aches for these innocent lives lost. Thousands and thousands of them over the course of this conflict. I can't bare to look at the pictures.

The question: Is it better or worse if Assad stays in power? His loss of control over areas of Syria contributed to the rise of ISIS. The glimmer of hope that Assad can be deposed has given the various warring factions reason to continue fighting--leading to a longer conflict and more lives lost.

I think back to Saddam Hussein. He was a horrible butcher who also gassed innocents (the Kurds). In the years since the U.S. invasion, I think the historical view of Saddam has shifted considerably. He's still acknowledged to be a ruthless murderer, but there's a sense that maybe Iraq was better off with him in power. The power vacuum since 2003 has led to widespread instability in Iraq and regionally.

I really don't have an answer for Syria, but it's worth considering that the world might be better off with the devil we know.

EDITED: 2017-04-06 02:01:04

Posted: April 5th, 2017 @ 7:38PM
    IN RESPONSE TO: Thursday Politics 2

That Uranium One deal seems to be the final word in pay to play politics. Local politicians in my area have been indicted at both the federal and state level for similar schemes, albeit at a much smaller level. The entire premise of the Clinton Foundation reeks of quid pro quo--cash for political influence.

I like how Podesta hid his shares in the deal under his daughter's name. How these people haven't been indicted on bribery and public corruption charges is beyond me.

Posted: March 30th, 2017 @ 12:43PM
    IN RESPONSE TO: The 265 members of Congress who sold you out to ISPs

Thanks for the recommendations, Biv.
    Posted: March 29th, 2017 @ 2:42PM
    IN RESPONSE TO: Thursday Random News

RE: Nuclear testing footage

My whole life, I’ve been fascinated by all things related to nuclear warfare. I trace it back to watching The Day After with my family as a little boy. That film left a real impression on me. I spent most of the 1980s convinced that nuclear war was inevitable. As bleakly as The Day After ended, Threads was even more brutal. I saw around 1985 or 1986. Famously, it was only shown once in the U.S.--on PBS. It’s considered one of the most depressing movies of all time. There used to be some decent uploads of it on YouTube, but it seems they’ve been removed recently.

The Day After

Some interesting things to share…

IVEY MIKE: The world’s first hydrogen bomb—though calling it a bomb is really a misnomer. It was more like an experiment. It was impractical to deliver.

Ivey Mike

CASTLE BRAVO: America’s largest nuclear detonation. It was supposed to be 6 MT, but a lack of understanding about the properties Lithium 7 caused the yield to spike to 15 MT! Some Japanese fishermen hundreds of miles downwind paid the ultimate price when they got hit with the fallout.

Castle Bravo

1961 - TSAR BOMB: The largest nuclear device ever detonated—50 MT. There’s conflicting reports that the design was for 100 MT and that either the final stage failed or the designer got cold feet and dialed things back. What’s more impressive is that the Soviets were able to air deliver the device. Unlike CASTLE BRAVO (which was impractically large), the TSAR BOMB was more or less weaponized.

Tsar Bomb

PLOWSHARE: Underground nuclear tests, ostensibly to investigate the usage of nuclear devices for civilian applications. Need a new mine? Use a nuke! Need a new harbor? Use a nuke! Pesky mountains in the way of highway construction? Use a nuke!

PlowShare

SPRINT MISSILE / Safeguard system: This was some really awesome tech from the 60s and 70s (40-50 years ago!). The Sprint Missile was the second prong of the Safeguard ABM system (the first part was the Spartan missile). It was the last ditch attempt to shoot down an enemy re-entry vehicle. So many cool things about this missile and the system. It went from 0 to Mach 10 in 5 seconds. The neutron bomb was developed to be the warhead for this missile…but it was somewhat overkill because the missile was too accurate. They had to de-tune the radar a bit because the missile was making kinetic impact with the test RVs. The entire system is a technical marvel.

Sprint Missile in Action

ABM documentary Around the 21 minute mark they really get into the Safeguard system.

Minuteman III attack on Kwajalein atoll (with MIRV impacts). I love the musical accompaniment and narration. It’s darkly humorous. The RV streaks coming in are eerie.

Air Force video

EDIT: Made HTML links.

EDITED: 2017-03-17 10:37:08

Posted: March 17th, 2017 @ 10:30AM
    IN RESPONSE TO: Thursday Random News

When I read that, I immediately thought of this anecdote:

President George W. Bush said, “I’m not gonna fire a $2 million missile at a $10 empty tent and hit a camel in the butt.”

Posted: March 16th, 2017 @ 6:39AM
    IN RESPONSE TO: Saturday Politics

Trump better have proof. You can't make a claim like this off the cuff.
    Posted: March 4th, 2017 @ 7:36PM
    IN RESPONSE TO: Talking Heads - Once In A Lifetime

Going back to the 80s, I always loved this song. It has more meaning as we get older.
    Posted: March 2nd, 2017 @ 11:42AM
    IN RESPONSE TO: 8 months to go!

Remind me, what is the trinket? A shield? A ring?
    Posted: March 1st, 2017 @ 11:45AM
    IN RESPONSE TO: Garrett AT Pro VDI Numbers & Tones for Most US Coins

I have no idea what the video is about, but it seems you stepped up your game in terms of production value. Next move would be to get a tripod or some kind of mount to eliminate shaky cam. Do you use a mic?
    Posted: March 1st, 2017 @ 11:44AM
    IN RESPONSE TO: Lamest Shit Ever

Add tribal and/or barbed wire tattoos.
    Posted: February 24th, 2017 @ 11:47AM
    IN RESPONSE TO: Amazon, $8.62 off $50

Thanks! I bought 3 Lowes $50 GCs on different accounts. My creditpr card gives 5 pct cash back on Amazon too.
    Posted: February 22nd, 2017 @ 5:47PM
    IN RESPONSE TO: Site News

You could just link to Drudge Report since 90% of your politically slanted posts come from there. Not that I'm complaining. Your site is like the Reader's Digest version of Drudge--which is a pretty concise site to begin with.
    Posted: January 26th, 2017 @ 5:44PM
    IN RESPONSE TO: Jeff Kaplan: the truth behind developer PTR decisions & Chinese New Year

I haven't played a computer game in a few years, and I still found this amusing.
    Posted: January 20th, 2017 @ 12:23PM
    IN RESPONSE TO: Comments on Expectnothing.com

Like I've said in the past, we've all gotten older and busier. Maybe you'll see more comments in 20-25 years when we are AARP members with nothing better to do. For now it's careers, kids, etc...
    Posted: January 11th, 2017 @ 2:22PM
    IN RESPONSE TO: Nutjob Attack in FL

Early reports indicate he was sent for psychiatric evaluation after he made those ISIS claims to the FBI. I'm interested in learning more about that. Under USC 922(g)(4) he would be prohibited from possessing firearms. There is a system in place to separate nut jobs from firearms.
    Posted: January 6th, 2017 @ 9:40PM
    IN RESPONSE TO: Amazon Review Ranking

I have to say that my faith is shaken in the Amazon review system. I was always conceptually aware that some reviewers received free or reduced price products. However, I wasn't aware of how pervasive the practice had become. I mean, if sellers are courting a rank 250k reviewer this aggressively, imagine how hard they go after top-500 reviewers. Those folks must have garages filled with free product.
    Posted: December 30th, 2016 @ 8:48AM
    IN RESPONSE TO: WoW

I've been thinking this is payback by some SJW former commenter (or lurker) that you pissed off this past year.
    Posted: December 29th, 2016 @ 3:35PM
    IN RESPONSE TO: Today's Politics

The John Kerry article trumpeted the Iran Nuclear Framework deal and a climate change treaty as his signature achievements. That's right, you read that correctly.

Russian expulsions - I think the extensive harassment of our diplomatic corps in Russia played a big role in this move. Now would Putin feel so emboldened to intimidate our foreign service if Obama wasn't such a smacked ass? Probably not.

EDITED: 2016-12-29 14:15:49

Posted: December 29th, 2016 @ 2:11PM
    IN RESPONSE TO: 'Princess Leia' actress Carrie Fisher dies at 60

I saw the news of Fisher's death a few minutes before seeing Rogue One. That made for a strange feeling walking out of the theatre.
    Posted: December 28th, 2016 @ 10:16AM
    IN RESPONSE TO: While my site is still up: Shotguns?

Take the time to read these two articles. They provide a nice summary of the considerations involved in choosing a shotgun and pistol. The author of these articles has also written a number of other pieces on the same site. They delve into things like ballistics, ammunition, and how to carry a pistol:

Shotgun article
    Handgun article

The shotguns that Briggs mentioned are good. Stick to 12 gauge. There are a ton of different pistol calibers, but the big three are 9mm, .45 ACP, and .40 S&W. I recommend you go with a 9mm pistol. The ammo is less expensive than .45 ACP and the alleged “stopping power” advantage of the .45 ACP has been overtaken by improvements in 9mm rounds. I really wouldn’t consider any other calibers. I think .380 is too light and .40 S&W, though it’s popular in law enforcement, is more expensive than 9mm and less common.

Personally, I prefer Glock pistols. However, the ammunition capacity advantage of a Glock 17 (17 round mag) or Glock 19 (15 round mag) is negated by CA’s restrictions on magazines above 10 rounds. You might consider going with a subcompact pistol like the Smith and Wesson M+P Shield 9mm, Springfield XDS 9mm, or Glock 43 (also a 9mm). These would generally be pistols for concealed carry, but because of the magazine restrictions you could have them do double duty as a home defense gun.

If you do purchase a firearm, remember that there’s a balance between safe storage and having the gun ready to go when you need it. This is especially true in a home defense setting. If you have intruders, you need to be able to get to your gun quickly. Not only that, but it must be ready for employment. On the other hand, you have a young teenagers and a child in the house. You can’t just have a loaded pistol or shotgun laying around.

For reasons of safety, I would store firearms in an accessible safe. For obvious reasons, a shotgun requires a larger safe than a pistol. The consequence of this is that 1) a shotgun safe costs more than a pistol safe and 2) the locations you can put the safe are more limited.

My arrangement is to have a loaded pistol kept in a holster that has a retention device. The pistol is then placed in a safe which is on a shelf in a closet about 6’ off the ground. The safe is bolted into a stud. I also store a flashlight in the safe (assuming that I might need to use the pistol in the dark).

The last piece of advice I can give is to take lessons, especially if you buy a pistol. You need to know how your pistol functions, how to grip, aim, and shoot the pistol as well as how to clear malfunctions and clean your gun. You need to learn range procedures for when you practice. You also need to learn when you are legally justified in employing a pistol against a person. If the instructor is doing his job, he will inculcate safe habits.

EDITED: 2016-12-25 03:27:16

Posted: December 25th, 2016 @ 2:33AM
    IN RESPONSE TO: Daddy Daughter Week

Burn it down!
    Posted: December 19th, 2016 @ 7:39PM
    IN RESPONSE TO: Today's Politics

Not all "fake news" is created equal. You can't lump it all together. Some "fake news" stories are, in fact, true incidents that the main stream media doesn't want to cover (generally things that undermine leftist or social progressive narratives). The term "fake news" is an unfortunate label that was created and perpetuated by agencies like the Washington Post.

As for Pizzagate, this is definitely real fake news. By that I mean, fake as hell. It's basically an out of control crowd-sourced Reddit thread. The leaps in logic are incredible. I followed it when it first broke, and it was easy to dismiss. It's a bunch of self-congratulatory autists slapping themselves on the back for making increasingly wild assertions.

Oh, and this kills me:

ivehadnoduisforthreeweeks writes -

"BlueFalcon and Keepersmith,

"Alex Jones supposedly says PizzaGate is a diversion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pA65Upo_AEM
    I haven`t watched the video though."

So let me get this straight...Alex Jones, who is a known purveyor of wild conspiracy theories allegedly says that PizzaGate is a diversion. But you can't even be bothered with watching the video. So I'm to accept your hearsay statement (presumably gleaned from the video description) regarding the contents of a video produced by a wingnut?

EDITED: 2016-12-06 12:18:53

Posted: December 6th, 2016 @ 12:17PM
    IN RESPONSE TO: Today's Politics

This so-called Pizzagate is a bunch of nonsense and hysteria.
    Posted: December 6th, 2016 @ 1:53AM
    IN RESPONSE TO: Vikings is back on!

I have no idea what this is, but based on the four posts it must be super exciting!
    Posted: December 5th, 2016 @ 6:45AM
    IN RESPONSE TO: O Canada

What's funny is that Trump won and it's Nebu who is seeking Canadian citizenship!
    Posted: December 2nd, 2016 @ 11:34PM