FlyingStarman.com

MEMBER SINCE:April 27th, 2003
LAST ONLINE:April 24th, 2018 @ 5:42PM

Comments :

IN RESPONSE TO: Stuck in Sun Glasses for Days

How's your sniffer?
    Posted: November 14th, 2017 @ 1:25PM
    IN RESPONSE TO: TEXAS CHURCH MASSACRE 26 DEAD; 20 INJURED GUNMAN IN FULL COMBAT GEAR

As soon as I heard that he was incarcerated for a domestic assault and received a BCD from the USAF, I knew he was a federal prohibitor from owning firearms. The law is fine, it's just some fucking clerk in the USAF didn't get the shooter's record uploaded to NCIC.

There are 9 enumerated circumstances spelled out in USC 922(g) that prohibit one from possessing a firearm. The shooter met 3-4 of them.

Posted: November 7th, 2017 @ 2:15PM
    IN RESPONSE TO: Las Vegas Shooting

We live in an era where everyone under age 45 feels the need to broadcast their most mundane thoughts via social media to a legion of people with whom they are semi-acquainted. Everyone is self-absorbed and self-important. The privacy and reserve of a man like Paddock must be inconceivable for Gen Xers and Millennials. The initial investigation indicates that Paddock had little or no online presence. He kept his distance from neighbors and had few friends. He was a cypher.

My current theory is that Paddock, at age 64, realized he was a nobody--and set out to change that. He had no children, no wife, and no spiritual belief system. He had a network of homes in locales that could be best described as retirement home strip malls. Even the homes themselves were furnished like freshman dorm rooms. His brother, Eric, didn't even seem to know Stephen at all. Those interviews he gave were wildly inaccurate in light of what transpired. Neighbors and acquaintances paint the picture of a guy who was a zero point zero on the personality scale. His life was utterly banal and without meaning. Just chase after gambling rewards programs and deal with his pain-in-the-ass Filipina girlfriend (who, fittingly enough, used to be a casino dealer).

I think Paddock was a smart guy. He realized he was coming to twilight years of his life without doing anything meaningful. Based on his accounting background, I'm guessing he was very detail oriented and a deep thinker. A few of his acquaintances describe him as a careful planner. I think he took up gambling as a hobby because it gave him a thrill. Over time, the thrill faded and it became a grind. This ennui along with his loose bonds to society led him to put that big brain of his to work in other ways.

Current reports are that he may have considered shooting up a hip-hop festival or Lahllapalooza. If that's the case, it seems the choice of a country music festival has little or no political or ideological meaning. The festival was targeted because it was a large group of people, not because it was a bunch of meat eating, gun toting, American flag wearing, Trump loving Republicans.

The fact that Paddock (as of this writing) didn't leave an explanation or manifesto makes his act a bit of a Rorschach in the eyes of the beholder. If you're a conservative or a MAGA guy, you hope he was some liberal Antifa who targeted an ideological enemy. If you're a liberal, this is the perfect time to talk about gun control. If you're a white male, you just hope he got radicalized by ISIS so you can blame the religion of peace. If you're RRP, you know this is a "false flag" operation. I've seen theories that Paddock was a secret agent in an Operation Fast and Furious type of sting gone horribly wrong. With every passing day where Paddock's motivation and intent remains a mystery, the fault lines deepen and the conversation grows. Assuming that no definitive answers are uncovered, books and books will be written about this incident. Paddock's name will be trotted out from time to time and live on in our memory--and maybe that was his point.

Note: I realize I spelled the music festival that ends in "palooza" incorrectly. This site won't let me post if the first three letters are "el oh el".

EDIT: I forgot to add--I wonder if a medical diagnosis will be uncovered. Something like pancreatic cancer. Maybe Paddock was motivated by his impending demise. Or, maybe he was just bored. Idle hands are the devil's workshop.

EDITED: 2017-10-06 19:23:18

Posted: October 6th, 2017 @ 7:19PM
    IN RESPONSE TO: Monday Politics

I remain suspicious of Milo and his motivations, and I'm not a fan of his flamboyancy. I nearly shut off the video in the first minute while the camera filmed all his little tics and preening behavior.

With that said, the rest of the video was excellent. He really distilled the current big picture surrounding free speech down to its essence.

Posted: September 26th, 2017 @ 1:59AM
    IN RESPONSE TO: NFL

It's a shame that President Trump weighed in, because it lends this kneeling movement legitimacy. Now, anywhere from 40-60% of the country supports this nonsense as a big F U to the president.

What is lost in all this is the original reason for the kneeling--Colin Kaepernick's false narrative of unequal treatment of minorities by police. Now you've got entire teams of useful idiots bending the knee because of this malarkey. We were better off when the former policy of benign neglect was still in place.

On the bright side, my Sundays in the fall and winter (including this one) just opened up.

EDIT: I was probably too mild when I characterized Kaepernick's protest as "unequal treatment of minorities by police".

Here is what Kaepernick said when asked why he kneeled during the anthem back in Aug of 2016:

"I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color," Kaepernick told NFL Media in an exclusive interview after the game. "To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder."

This guy needs to take a Xanax or something. The biggest threat to black men is other black men, not police. It's not a close margin. Were it not for proactive policing and improved trauma care, the bodies in the streets would be stacked even higher.

EDITED: 2017-09-24 19:00:54

Posted: September 24th, 2017 @ 6:33PM
    IN RESPONSE TO: Halp

Stop picking your nose.
    Posted: August 23rd, 2017 @ 3:50AM
    IN RESPONSE TO: Site Will Soon Move to: EverythingYetNothing.com

My guess is Nebu needs cash and someone offered him $150 and a signed Betty White head shot. Two decades of building a following is paying off handsomely!

Edit - My real theory is that the URL for this site is no longer relevant due to the loosening of Blizzard's policy regarding employees commenting on its games.

EDITED: 2017-07-08 12:01:05

Posted: July 7th, 2017 @ 6:19PM
    IN RESPONSE TO: NBC tries hit piece on Alex Jones (Info Wars)

Wootah - The conventional explanations for WTC 7's collapse satisfy me. I'm sure you've read a lot on the topic, so no amount of hyperlinks to articles will change your mind. Either you believe that a combination of factors including structural damage and fire weakened it to the point of collapse--or you don't. I remember watching it happen live on TV. Yes, it looked like a fairly orderly collapse, but nothing seemed suspicious at the time. I haven't seen anything since that gives me pause. Just conspiracy-minded structural engineers from random podunk universities stirring the pot.
    Posted: June 19th, 2017 @ 9:35AM
    IN RESPONSE TO: NBC tries hit piece on Alex Jones (Info Wars)

To your points:

-Alex Jones is a loon.

-Megyn Kelly is typical of the MSM. That is to say selective editing and parsing of statements to drive a narrative that is controversial--and thus attract higher ratings. Fortunately for Alex Jones, he has his own casual relationship with the the truth, so he knew all the dirty tricks.

-9/11 was not an inside job. That's such an incredible insult to all those who died. There were plenty of coverups after the fact (the level of Saudi involvement, illness among WTC first responders, etc). The cover ups were to spare the government embarrassment, expense, or problems with an alleged ally.

-Conservative media heroes like Rush, O'Reilly, Beck, etc all tend to be bombastic blowhards. I wish they would just plainly make the case for conservative viewpoints rather pumping napalm into the national conversation. They're part of the problem. They have their own base and set of advertisers to consider, so ratings matter to them just as much as the MSM.

Edit: fixed an autocorrect error.

EDITED: 2017-06-19 10:49:54

Posted: June 19th, 2017 @ 4:56AM
    IN RESPONSE TO: Firefox

and to think that Nebu considered banning Biv after the browser bomb prank!
    Posted: June 15th, 2017 @ 6:19AM
    IN RESPONSE TO: So sick of cops/campus cops and their fucking FISHING ATTEMPTS

Maybe you look like a creeper.
    Posted: June 13th, 2017 @ 12:52PM
    IN RESPONSE TO: Metal Detecting

I second the Enforcerman comment. If you want to enjoy the outdoors and break your back, just hang out in front of a Home Depot as a laborer for hire. You can learn some Spanish at the same time as well as basic landscaping skills.
    Posted: June 5th, 2017 @ 9:24AM
    IN RESPONSE TO: Thursday Politics

Biv, I can turn your argument around and say, "since it's non-binding, and largely symbolic, what's the harm in pulling out?"

I think for political purposes, the left in this country would stupidly try to adhere to the agreement while our foreign competitors laughed. I believe China-Russia would pay their media shills to spout environmental propaganda to cause internal pressure in the U.S. to conform.

Banning CFCs is one thing, drastically reducing carbon based fuel usage is many orders of magnitude more difficult and expensive It's our entire way of life.

Posted: June 2nd, 2017 @ 5:01AM
    IN RESPONSE TO: Thursday Politics

No need to negotiate something better. Just pull out and stay out.

Does anyone really think that China, Russia, India, etc would have honored the agreement. They will pay lip service to compliance, submit bogus numbers, and chastise the U.S. for any perceived non-compliance. This would lead to two outcomes: 1) With a massive carbon fuel user cutting demand, the costs for carbon-based fuels such as petroleum, LNG, and coal will be cheaper for the aforementioned countries. 2) The U.S. would spend massive sums on alternative energy projects leading to higher cost of living and manufacturing costs domestically.

What a win-win for our competitors. Lower energy costs for them, higher costs for the U.S., and an agreement they could claim we are breaking in order to sway opinion against us.

Good riddance.

Posted: June 1st, 2017 @ 6:37PM
    IN RESPONSE TO: Wednesday Random News

As a father of two young children, my heart really aches for these innocent lives lost. Thousands and thousands of them over the course of this conflict. I can't bare to look at the pictures.

The question: Is it better or worse if Assad stays in power? His loss of control over areas of Syria contributed to the rise of ISIS. The glimmer of hope that Assad can be deposed has given the various warring factions reason to continue fighting--leading to a longer conflict and more lives lost.

I think back to Saddam Hussein. He was a horrible butcher who also gassed innocents (the Kurds). In the years since the U.S. invasion, I think the historical view of Saddam has shifted considerably. He's still acknowledged to be a ruthless murderer, but there's a sense that maybe Iraq was better off with him in power. The power vacuum since 2003 has led to widespread instability in Iraq and regionally.

I really don't have an answer for Syria, but it's worth considering that the world might be better off with the devil we know.

EDITED: 2017-04-06 02:01:04

Posted: April 5th, 2017 @ 7:38PM
    IN RESPONSE TO: Thursday Politics 2

That Uranium One deal seems to be the final word in pay to play politics. Local politicians in my area have been indicted at both the federal and state level for similar schemes, albeit at a much smaller level. The entire premise of the Clinton Foundation reeks of quid pro quo--cash for political influence.

I like how Podesta hid his shares in the deal under his daughter's name. How these people haven't been indicted on bribery and public corruption charges is beyond me.

Posted: March 30th, 2017 @ 12:43PM
    IN RESPONSE TO: The 265 members of Congress who sold you out to ISPs

Thanks for the recommendations, Biv.
    Posted: March 29th, 2017 @ 2:42PM
    IN RESPONSE TO: Thursday Random News

RE: Nuclear testing footage

My whole life, I’ve been fascinated by all things related to nuclear warfare. I trace it back to watching The Day After with my family as a little boy. That film left a real impression on me. I spent most of the 1980s convinced that nuclear war was inevitable. As bleakly as The Day After ended, Threads was even more brutal. I saw around 1985 or 1986. Famously, it was only shown once in the U.S.--on PBS. It’s considered one of the most depressing movies of all time. There used to be some decent uploads of it on YouTube, but it seems they’ve been removed recently.

The Day After

Some interesting things to share…

IVEY MIKE: The world’s first hydrogen bomb—though calling it a bomb is really a misnomer. It was more like an experiment. It was impractical to deliver.

Ivey Mike

CASTLE BRAVO: America’s largest nuclear detonation. It was supposed to be 6 MT, but a lack of understanding about the properties Lithium 7 caused the yield to spike to 15 MT! Some Japanese fishermen hundreds of miles downwind paid the ultimate price when they got hit with the fallout.

Castle Bravo

1961 - TSAR BOMB: The largest nuclear device ever detonated—50 MT. There’s conflicting reports that the design was for 100 MT and that either the final stage failed or the designer got cold feet and dialed things back. What’s more impressive is that the Soviets were able to air deliver the device. Unlike CASTLE BRAVO (which was impractically large), the TSAR BOMB was more or less weaponized.

Tsar Bomb

PLOWSHARE: Underground nuclear tests, ostensibly to investigate the usage of nuclear devices for civilian applications. Need a new mine? Use a nuke! Need a new harbor? Use a nuke! Pesky mountains in the way of highway construction? Use a nuke!

PlowShare

SPRINT MISSILE / Safeguard system: This was some really awesome tech from the 60s and 70s (40-50 years ago!). The Sprint Missile was the second prong of the Safeguard ABM system (the first part was the Spartan missile). It was the last ditch attempt to shoot down an enemy re-entry vehicle. So many cool things about this missile and the system. It went from 0 to Mach 10 in 5 seconds. The neutron bomb was developed to be the warhead for this missile…but it was somewhat overkill because the missile was too accurate. They had to de-tune the radar a bit because the missile was making kinetic impact with the test RVs. The entire system is a technical marvel.

Sprint Missile in Action

ABM documentary Around the 21 minute mark they really get into the Safeguard system.

Minuteman III attack on Kwajalein atoll (with MIRV impacts). I love the musical accompaniment and narration. It’s darkly humorous. The RV streaks coming in are eerie.

Air Force video

EDIT: Made HTML links.

EDITED: 2017-03-17 10:37:08

Posted: March 17th, 2017 @ 10:30AM
    IN RESPONSE TO: Thursday Random News

When I read that, I immediately thought of this anecdote:

President George W. Bush said, “I’m not gonna fire a $2 million missile at a $10 empty tent and hit a camel in the butt.”

Posted: March 16th, 2017 @ 6:39AM
    IN RESPONSE TO: Saturday Politics

Trump better have proof. You can't make a claim like this off the cuff.
    Posted: March 4th, 2017 @ 7:36PM
    IN RESPONSE TO: Talking Heads - Once In A Lifetime

Going back to the 80s, I always loved this song. It has more meaning as we get older.
    Posted: March 2nd, 2017 @ 11:42AM
    IN RESPONSE TO: 8 months to go!

Remind me, what is the trinket? A shield? A ring?
    Posted: March 1st, 2017 @ 11:45AM
    IN RESPONSE TO: Garrett AT Pro VDI Numbers & Tones for Most US Coins

I have no idea what the video is about, but it seems you stepped up your game in terms of production value. Next move would be to get a tripod or some kind of mount to eliminate shaky cam. Do you use a mic?
    Posted: March 1st, 2017 @ 11:44AM
    IN RESPONSE TO: Lamest Shit Ever

Add tribal and/or barbed wire tattoos.
    Posted: February 24th, 2017 @ 11:47AM
    IN RESPONSE TO: Amazon, $8.62 off $50

Thanks! I bought 3 Lowes $50 GCs on different accounts. My creditpr card gives 5 pct cash back on Amazon too.
    Posted: February 22nd, 2017 @ 5:47PM
    IN RESPONSE TO: Site News

You could just link to Drudge Report since 90% of your politically slanted posts come from there. Not that I'm complaining. Your site is like the Reader's Digest version of Drudge--which is a pretty concise site to begin with.
    Posted: January 26th, 2017 @ 5:44PM
    IN RESPONSE TO: Jeff Kaplan: the truth behind developer PTR decisions & Chinese New Year

I haven't played a computer game in a few years, and I still found this amusing.
    Posted: January 20th, 2017 @ 12:23PM
    IN RESPONSE TO: Comments on Expectnothing.com

Like I've said in the past, we've all gotten older and busier. Maybe you'll see more comments in 20-25 years when we are AARP members with nothing better to do. For now it's careers, kids, etc...
    Posted: January 11th, 2017 @ 2:22PM
    IN RESPONSE TO: Nutjob Attack in FL

Early reports indicate he was sent for psychiatric evaluation after he made those ISIS claims to the FBI. I'm interested in learning more about that. Under USC 922(g)(4) he would be prohibited from possessing firearms. There is a system in place to separate nut jobs from firearms.
    Posted: January 6th, 2017 @ 9:40PM
    IN RESPONSE TO: Amazon Review Ranking

I have to say that my faith is shaken in the Amazon review system. I was always conceptually aware that some reviewers received free or reduced price products. However, I wasn't aware of how pervasive the practice had become. I mean, if sellers are courting a rank 250k reviewer this aggressively, imagine how hard they go after top-500 reviewers. Those folks must have garages filled with free product.
    Posted: December 30th, 2016 @ 8:48AM