FlyingStarman.com

April 24th, 2018 @ 6:27AM

LOCATION:Northeast USA
MEMBER SINCE:February 8th, 2004
LAST ONLINE:April 24th, 2018 @ 6:27AM

Comments :

IN RESPONSE TO: Wednesday Random News

I`m not saying this to make it seem like Bush was great but I believe he used his ranch in Texas as a second White House. They would say he was on vacation when he was even if he was working. I think Putin even visited there.
    Posted: December 29th, 2016 @ 6:56AM
    IN RESPONSE TO: Today's Politics

Pizzagate may or may not be real. I`m not going to pretend to know. But people who are jumping on the "Fake News" bandwagon have to stop and think. You`re jumping on this bandwagon because the media basically told you to. Sure, Pizzagate may be an illustration of confirmation bias but so is the whole "Fake News" gig. Where were all of you when Harry Reid spread the nasty news about Romney not paying his taxes? It was a lie but it got coverage in the media and hurt Romney but nobody cared then and nobody cares now. And that`s just a drop in the ocean of lies we`ve been told over the years. Do not forget that Wikileaks (with their impeccable record) exposed the media. Don`t believe Pizzagate if you don`t want to but don`t go running into the arms of the media either. To them, you`re just a useful idiot.
    Posted: December 6th, 2016 @ 11:06AM
    IN RESPONSE TO: Fucking California Hippies

Whenever I see this stuff or read about such events, I reverse the situation and imagine how everyone would react. Imagine, in this case, that it was white people assaulting a old black man for voting for Hillary. Imagine the rightful outrage. One of the problems is that much of the left acts on emotion. For one reason or another, they do not exercise rational thought much of the time and therefore they lash out emotionally. This isn`t exclusive to the left of course but, in my experience, it does appear to be more common. And when the emotion is rage, the results can be ugly.
    Posted: November 10th, 2016 @ 9:36AM
    IN RESPONSE TO: Whole House Fan

I have whole house fan and it really does a very nice job when you have such a temperature imbalance like that. You need to mess around with which windows you keep open and which ones you close (always keep at least one window open of course.) It gets to be a little like a game but it really is nice for those days when your house gets heat soaked during the day and the outside air cools way off at night.
    Posted: November 8th, 2016 @ 7:25PM
    IN RESPONSE TO: Thursday Election News 2016

Every republican running in every presidential election is always a racist according to the libs. And every time they come out with something like "But this guy really is a racist!" They`re experts at destroying someone`s character. It`s how they win. Every republican presidential candidate is also Hitler too. It`s amazing.
    Posted: November 3rd, 2016 @ 4:04AM
    IN RESPONSE TO: Sorry

As the others have said, I hope all works out for you. If you need help, it never hurts to reach out to our little community here.
    Posted: April 28th, 2016 @ 7:21AM
    IN RESPONSE TO: It's up to all 40 of us!

Been here for a long time (the early shlonglor.com days) and I don`t plan on leaving. Random question... remember you had someone make you one of those ultra Japanese pop sites? What the heck were those sites called? I think the one they made for you was a garish pink theme.
    Posted: April 5th, 2016 @ 1:11PM
    IN RESPONSE TO: Tuesday Random News

Actually, many Christians pray to the east as that`s how many of their churches are oriented on purpose.
    Posted: May 27th, 2015 @ 10:13AM
    IN RESPONSE TO: I Am Overwhelmed by 55 Million Babies Killed Since Roe v. Wade

I`m just getting around to reading the comments here and thanks Charkoth. You basically said what I was going to say. Logic covers much of life but logic does not govern parental concern for a child. We often do very illogical things when taking care of our children. If you use only logic to govern the arguments surrounding human life then you are building a bit of a scary world. The bottom line is that even from the very beginning, the fetus/zygote/whatever is growing and alive and the parents of that life are human making that life human. Logic states that it`s just a collection of cells but then again, aren`t we all? Emotions should come into situations such as abortion. As a man, I tend to shun them in arguments in good part because it makes it so much easier to break down the argument and possibly win. But when it comes to defending human life, you should defend it emotionally.
    Posted: January 27th, 2014 @ 6:33AM
    IN RESPONSE TO: I Am Overwhelmed by 55 Million Babies Killed Since Roe v. Wade

I`d argue that because nobody can come to terms on when life begins

Isn`t that precisely why we should be extra cautious? Medicine surprises us often when it comes to the viability of a premature baby. I don`t see how you cannot want to err on the side of caution. I don`t care about overpopulation etc. You don`t kill your own children to solve even a serious problem. And for those who don`t see a child, you`re lying to yourself. I sat there in the hospital as my wife went through a difficult pregnancy (one that nearly took her life) and I watched every ultrasound. I saw my son doing things in the womb that he still did in bed long after he was born. I heard his heartbeat, saw his fingers and toes, watched him yawn and sleep. That was life and if not human life then what other kind? For some bacteria or virus inside you doesn`t become a human baby, then a toddler, then a young man or woman, then a mom or dad, then a grandma, or grandpa. These are people that are being killed and you`re OK with it because you can`t see or hold them. Do an image search for abortion. Look at the tiny human bodies torn apart. Take a good long look at them because their lives are on us all.

Posted: January 22nd, 2014 @ 2:46AM
    IN RESPONSE TO: I Want To Be Ed Hochuli

Why they don`t call him Hochules, I do not know.
    Posted: December 3rd, 2013 @ 6:20AM
    IN RESPONSE TO: Tragic News

I am so sorry to hear about this. I`ve already started praying for the families involved.
    Posted: November 8th, 2012 @ 3:17AM
    IN RESPONSE TO: September News

I remember seeing a show about him years ago where they basically said that he was very tough but also fair and, after a while, even somewhat liked by some of the people he was tough on.
    Posted: September 2nd, 2012 @ 7:02AM
    IN RESPONSE TO: Nerds that...

Are we (real men) supposed to care about fashion now? This is, relatively speaking, a newer trend and while I usually adhere to it for comfort sake, I hate that people even care about it in the first place.
    Posted: July 30th, 2012 @ 6:45PM
    IN RESPONSE TO: Green Latern is Gay!

"the this is ours and you can have this attitude we have towards gay people, while not on the scale of whites vs blacks, is still discrimination."

That`s simply wrong in this scenario. If you want to get technical, gay people are not lacking any right that I have and therefore there is no discrimination. We are subject to the very same laws and rules regarding marriage. The fact that the laws happen to fit my preference is another argument all together. Gay people can sit anywhere they want on the bus. They can use the same water fountains as everyone else. They can attend the same schools as straight people. There is no lawful discrimination against gay people that I can call to mind currently.

If you throw all of the drama aside, this is still just a battle to normalize gay sex in the eyes of the public.

Posted: June 3rd, 2012 @ 5:54PM
    IN RESPONSE TO: Green Latern is Gay!

Please don`t equate this with black people not being able to ride at the front of the bus. It is NOT the same thing and equating the two scenarios degrades the civil rights movement of the 60s.

That being said, I understand what Cob means (I think.) This is simply a cultural battle of sorts. One side wants the culture to go one way and one side wants it to go the other. It`s not about rights (technically speaking, gays and lesbians already have the same rights as straights) it`s about cultural acceptance and normalization. That`s why they do things like this comic book reveal and the gay days at Disney World. It`s about normalizing the gay culture to the youth so as to change the perceptions held therein. So you can try and avoid this so as not to feel that it is being shoved in your face but you`ll wind up as a hermit if you do that.

Posted: June 2nd, 2012 @ 9:19PM
    IN RESPONSE TO: Unix noob almost destroyed Pixar: Article

I`m a Unix system admin and sometimes I flat out hate Unix. It`s at least as reliable as any computer OS out there and definitely can be interesting in a geek sort of way but it is also a clunky unforgiving set of OS`s. And if you`ve worked with it long enough, you`ve likely screwed up big like this at some point. You might say "I haven`t screwed up like that!" and I would tell you... wait. Just wait. Someday it will happen.
    Posted: May 23rd, 2012 @ 4:38AM
    IN RESPONSE TO: America

"As far as internet and rail lines go, the countries with the greatest communications and transportation could all fit inside of a large state in the US. The US is far greater in size than any of those countries and far less populated so it is more expensive.

As far as politics are to blame, the majority of the population on the public dole are as much to blame as the corporations. You can`t blame any company for trying to create and environment where they have a competitive advantage, it is what they do. Same with people really. The only way you can stop it is to get government out of people`s lives by lower taxes (less influencing your decisions) and less regulations and subsidies. Most corporate corruption in government is through a subsidy of some kind....elimate that shit!"

Incredibly well said. High speed rail just won`t work in this country. We`re too spread out for it to make sense.
    Truly high speed internet will take a lot of time for the same reason. We`re too big and spread out to make the implementation easy. Hong Kong supposedly has GB/s internet for roughly $25 per month but Hong Kong is tiny. Also it has historically been an incredibly open economy which helps in a big way.

As far as blaming corporations, it goes way beyond that but I think Charkoth said it best. They`re trying to make the country friendly to their practices. Well that`s what we do when we vote and donate. We`ve been trained to view that as evil but it really isn`t if done properly. Of course that`s a whole different ball of wax. In my opinion, you can`t have a great government or a great company without moral and wise people in charge of either. Sadly that`s pretty rare these days.

Posted: July 11th, 2011 @ 5:47PM
    IN RESPONSE TO: The Worst Song Ever Made™

Maybe I`m getting soft in my old age but she`s just a kid and though it`s certainly not my style of music, neither is Nick Junior, Kidz Bop, or any of the other stuff out there aimed at kids. You`re on your way to 40. You`re not supposed to like this stuff. Whether she`s bad or not, why would you even want to knock a 13 year old girl for trying?
    Posted: March 19th, 2011 @ 8:18AM
    IN RESPONSE TO: The new Mosque

Just to clarify things since I`ve seen these points debated on other sites.
    #1 - This is a community center.... which will contain a mosque. To say it`s not a mosque is being a little deceptive while technically true.
    #2 - This site IS ground zero. It may not be the site of one of the towers but this site once contained a building that was pretty much destroyed by pieces of one of the 9/11 planes.

That being said, I`ll echo what others have voiced. I think they have every right to build the center. I think it`s in bad taste and if the people of NYC want to stop them then that`s their right.

Posted: August 24th, 2010 @ 7:31PM
    IN RESPONSE TO: More Links

"Your parsing of the meaning "equal protections" would also mean that interracial marriages should have never been legalized. Before interracial marriages were legalized, everyone had equal rights to marry someone of the opposite sex if they were the same race, and strangely, most established white married couples thought that was perfectly adequate at the time. As you are probably aware though, that argument was not found to be satisfactory for keeping interracial marriages illegal and it is therefore won`t be satisfactory for keeping gay marriage illegal."

That`s a terrible analogy and one simply meant to equate gay marriage with the civil rights battle which it certainly isn`t. Honestly it`s not even worth dignifying with a counter.

"However, I would offer that your "marriage is there to support growth of family" argument isn`t at all justified by any actual evidence, so.. uh, yeah. Good luck with that I guess."
    Absolutely wrong. Marriages are generally promoted to promote the growth of families and therefore the growth and maintenance of the nation`s culture. Marriage also traditionally made the man and woman more responsible and productive members of society and children raised in such environments would generally also become responsible productive members of society. So he was pretty much spot on with his argument despite your attempt at a snarky response.

Posted: July 9th, 2010 @ 8:17PM
    IN RESPONSE TO: More Links

The Gay marriage ban is unconstitutional due to equal protection? How so? What rights do I have that a gay person does not have? I am free to marry someone of the opposite sex who is not related to me. So is any gay person. That may not be his or her preference but the fact remains that we both still have the same right. Basically they want to define marriage as someone you want to have a committed sexual relationship with. It has nothing to do with love. Otherwise why not allow marriage between relatives who deeply care for each other and may want to spend their lives together but simply don`t want to have a sexual relationship? If that may not fit your view of what marriage is, then maybe you`re being a bigot.
    Posted: July 8th, 2010 @ 8:04PM
    IN RESPONSE TO: U.S. Home Resales Fall; Prices Drop by Record 13.2%

"and theres nebu, swimming against the current "

He seems to insist on trying to catch the falling knife.

Posted: December 23rd, 2008 @ 7:21PM
    IN RESPONSE TO: No Country For Old Men....help!!

A `different` or `realistic` ending doesn`t necessarily make it a good ending. If I want a real life depressing ending I`ll watch the news. When I`m paying $9 or $10 for some entertainment, I want a good ending. This isn`t some `bad but actually good ending like Rocky 1 where, yes he does lose but he sort of won by proving that he could hold his own with the best. This was a cop out ending. Most of the people (but not all by any means) who seem to like the ending almost seem to hold their opinion simply because it ticks other people off and makes them feel special in some way (i.e. "You don`t get the ending but I do because I`m a real movie buff.")
    Posted: January 5th, 2008 @ 7:37PM
    IN RESPONSE TO: No Country For Old Men....help!!

Honestly I think this movie is partially a case of the emperor`s new clothes. The first 3/4 or so was very good but I think people are reading more into the last 15 minutes than is actually there and are calling it great when it`s really completely lacking. Everyone knows that a good ending is very tough to write and this author took the easy way out and is getting called a genius for it. It wasn`t just the total lack of resolution either. Even before the actual last scene, the movie just started to fall apart anyway. The pacing just felt different. It felt like the writer didn`t know how to properly end the story and when the credits roll, it pretty much confirms it in my eyes.

Btw, supposedly the movie is pretty faithful to the novel which is why I`m not knocking the Cohen brothers on this one.

Posted: January 2nd, 2008 @ 9:11PM
    IN RESPONSE TO: Pentagon Cover Up:15,000 or more US casualties in Iraq War

I`m not for this war but if I had a nickel for every boneheaded story that came from Digg, I could probably buy Iraq myself. I`ve never seen a community full of such self righteous, arrogant, and completely misguided jerks as I have when I visit Digg. Take many of their stories with a lot more than a grain of salt.
    Posted: November 20th, 2007 @ 4:41PM
    IN RESPONSE TO: Football Trick Play

I thought the point of youth sports was to teach, oh I don`t know... sportsmanship!
    Posted: July 30th, 2007 @ 6:38PM
    IN RESPONSE TO: Rocky Balboa

Definitely give them a chance. Rocky 1 was a great movie. Stallone won a couple Oscars for it. Rocky 2 and 3 were also very good in their own way. Rocky 4 was one of those `guilty pleasure` movies. It wasn`t the most well written movie but it was still fun to watch. Rocky 5? Well you could skip that one.
    Posted: December 31st, 2006 @ 10:25AM
    IN RESPONSE TO: Boyd Becomes 1,000th Execution Since 1977

Over the years we`ve averaged about 3000 abortions per DAY. I may not agree with the death penalty simply based on my pro-life views but 1000 since 1977 is nothing compared to 3000 a day.
    Posted: December 2nd, 2005 @ 6:33PM